Welcome to the month of September!
- Septem is Latin for seven and September was originally the 7th month in the Roman calendar (March was the 1st month). September was moved to become the 9th month when Julius Caesar introduced a revised calendar but retained its name (along with October, November, and December).
- September's traditional birthstone is Sapphire. Sapphire is a gemstone of the mineral corundum and is available in many colors (except red) with blue being the best known and most popular. Red corundum is called Ruby.
- Other birthstones for September include Agate (Tibetan/Mystical) and Moonstone (Ayurvedic). Peridot (Chrysolite) was the birthstone of September for many ancient cultures.
- September's birthflowers are the Forget-Me-Not, Morning Glory, and Aster.
- September is National Classical Music Month, National Self-Improvement Month, National Better Breakfast Month, National Chicken Month, National Rice Month, and National Papaya Month (sounds like a recipe!)
- The song "September" was a top 10 hit for Earth, Wind, & Fire.
- The song "Wake Me Up When September Ends" was a top 10 hit for Green Day.
- September 1, 1830, the poem “Mary had a Little Lamb” was first published.
- September 1, 1939, Hitler invaded Poland. Two days later, on September 3, France and Britain declared war with Germany thus starting World War II.
- September 2, 1945, Japan officially surrendered to the US on the deck of the USS Missouri ending WW2.
- September 2, 1966, the Great Fire of London started in a bakery on Pudding Lane and would burn for four days and destroy 80% of the city.
- September 7, 1936, Charles Hardin Holley, better known as Buddy Holly, was born in Lubbock, TX
- September 8, 1966, the premier of Star Trek boldly went where no other television series had gone before.
- September 11, 1962, the Beatles recorded their first single,”Love Me Do“.
- September 13, 1814, the British attacked Ft McHenry, Maryland but had little effect on the defenders thus inspiring lawyer Francis Scott Key to write "The Star Spangled Banner".
- September 15, 1959, Nikita Khrushchev became the first Soviet head of state to visit the USA.
- September 19, 1981, Simon & Garfunkel reunited for a free concert for 500,000 fans in New York's Central Park.
- September 23, 1846 at the Berlin Observatory, German astronomer Johann Gottfried Galle was the first to discover the planet Neptune.
- September 24, 1984, the world's record for the longest kiss was completed (17 days, 10 1/2 hours).
- September 30, 1955, James Dean was killed in a car crash outside of Paso Robles, CA.
Happy birthday to all of the Virgos and Libras born in September!!!
Wishing you all well.
Your friends at
Solid Silver, Inc./ Sosi B Jewelry